February 7th, 2013
Celebrate Valentine’s Day With Your Dog
Who is the one who is always excited to see you, waiting patiently until you arrive home every day? Who loves you unconditionally? Who likes to snuggle in your lap at night while you relax watching TV? While it might be your significant other, more than likely it’s your beloved furry friend! Valentine’s Day is coming up, so why not celebrate the special love you have with your dog on this day that honors love?
What can you do with your dog that will make this day extra special? Here are a few ideas.
- Take a long walk, just the two of you. If you have more than one dog, take each one individually. While dogs are pack animals, they do appreciate the special bond created when you spend one-on-one quality time together. When you’re out for that walk, focus on your dog. Talk to him, let him stop and sniff the great smells, and take pleasure in being outdoors and alone with your dog.
- Give him a new toy. Puzzle toys or those that you can fill with treats are especially fun. As an extra treat, take your pup to the pet store and allow him to choose his new toy.
- Spend extra time doting on your dog. One of the best times I’ve found for this is while I’m watching TV or just before bedtime. Quiet time spent petting your dog or rubbing his belly is soothing for both of you, and brings out the love even more.
- Play with your dog. Most dogs love to play games and when they enjoy them, we do too. Interactive fetch, tug, “find it” are all such fun for your dog, and they can be for you too. When played with gusto, these games can bring out your “inner child!”
- Give your dog a massage. The benefits of massage for humans are well documented, and they apply to dogs as well. You can reduce your dog’s stress, and help keep him healthy and happy through regular massage. A soothing Valentine’s Day massage will not only reduce your dog’s stress, but yours as well. Plus it’s a wonderful bonding opportunity.
One of my favorite quotes is “He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.” ~ Anonymous
This Valentine’s Day, celebrate the special love between you and your dog, and vow to make every day like Valentine’s Day.